Thursday, November 17, 2011

Final Proposal and Inspiration

For my final project in Digital Print Based Media, i will be making a book that combines photography and poetry into a cohesive body.

The inspiration for my work comes from many seemingly random places. Shel Silverstein, for example, inspired me to start reading more poetry and, in turn, begin writing some of my own. My work, however, does not generally reflect that of Shel Silverstein. Enter Nancy Springer: Springer is the author of a novel titled "The Boy on a Black Horse." Within this book, Chav, one of the main characters, writes a poem that has no title:

"My life is made of midnight
The black horse of anger gallops closer
The moon in my sky is the color of death.
The stars a chips of broken glass.
In a black back ally at midnight.
And the stallion gallops in my chest,
The black horse of anger gallops.
The world will die under his iron tread,
And the moon in my sky is a cold dead eye
At midnight."

This poem has inspired several of my own poems as well as a few of my photographs. The darker nature of this poem influences many of my own pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment